Genesis Morocco: Art for Thought IV / The Great Sea Wall, Gibraltar Strait


Loading Assets... Please wait

Genesis Morocco

Project Genesis is a strategic sustainable development framework for Morocco to translate from being a net importer of energy and a country facing water shortage issues, into the number one producer both of clean renewable energy and water in the region.

Monday, January 31, 2011    <<Home

Art for Thought IV / The Great Sea Wall, Gibraltar Strait

Personal Notes : The generation potential of such a structure would be gigantic... It would make the Mediterranean a true Mare Nostrum.  Fascinating.


Visual Art by steve-burg / Deviant art / Click for high res picture.

Comments by artist :


When I worked on the game "Tiberium" (discussed elsewhere in the gallery) one of the many ideas that came up and was later abandoned was that of a tremendous structure bridging the Straight of Gibraltar from Spain clear across to North Africa.

A few months ago, I decided to try and create my own version of this concept in 3D. I secured satellite images of the terrain, painted a displacement texture, and created the landscape in true scale.

I then blocked in the colossal structure, taking some inspiration from the Three Gorges Dam in China.

In these views, the 3D scene is still missing a lot of detail, however it's developed enough to get an overall sense of the environment. One of these days, I hope to dive back in and fully detail an area for a particular camera view.

Of course, looking around at various angles is exactly what these two views represent. Before I could pick my "hero shot" and pour on the detail, I became swamped with work. So what you see here is exactly how I left it...

The scene was modeled and rendered using Lightwave 3D version 9.6. Textures were painted in Photoshop CS3 by yours truly, except for the sky which incorporates an image from CGTextures